Thursday, July 21, 2011

Life was good in Moodus in summer


Thanks for posting the photos and memories of Orchard Mansion; they're great! My family was there for a week or two in the summer of 1956 and/or '57. The photos of the cabins, pool and especially,  the TV room bring back wonderful memories. A couple of things that I recall that weren't mentioned by others on your site:

-The "canteen" to which we ran we every night after dinner with our nickels to buy packs of gum or candy bars;
-The Nestle's Quik on each table in the dining room;
-The dodge ball games played on a flagstone patio before dinner;
-Going in to town to see a movie: Pat Boone in April Love
Coming from the Long Island suburbs of NY, I also recall, quite fondly, the coolness of the summer nights at Orchard Mansion, the different way the air smelled, and being able to roam freely through the grounds
at twilight, safely, without parents or older brother; noticing a bird or the way the breeze moved the leaves on the trees; becoming aware of the natural world in ways I hadn't been before. For a six-year-old, those
were special feelings. 
Life was good at Orchard Mansion and the Universe was benign – except for the day my brother put peanut butter in my hair and my mother had to cut it out with scissors. ...

With kind regards,

--Stuart Frolick
Los Angeles

No comments:

  I am pleased to announce that the new local history website EastHaddamStories.org is now live. It is a project of the East Haddam Historic...