Saturday, February 22, 2003

Roy Coo Coo Duka Dies

For years Roy Duka was the all around entertainer for the Frank Davis Resort. From handing out instruments to the guests, with his "wake up" band, to war canoe races, putting on audience participation plays (written by his wife Franny), the man kept going from sunrise to way after the sunset.

CooCoo brought years of joy and laughter to so many guests. To me, he was one of the main reasons many people kept returning to Frank Davis (I know it was the reason for our family returning every year.

I received a call from Roy's wife Franny a few hours ago, and was told Roy had passed away. My family started going to Frank Davis when I was only 12, I am now 42. My father Jack "Jocko" Castronovo was a New York fireman and fell in love with CT and this area so much that when he retired we moved up here. He even got a job at the resort. . He and Roy were close for 30 years.

Thank you,
--Annmarie Anderson

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Annmarie,
This Joe "Joey", I worked at the resort for years. I visited as a guest and then worked there. I was a life guard at he pool, teen social director,[and then the lifeguard down on the river and eventually managed outside operations. Do you remember me? write if you see this, pmacgo@netscape.net I hope to hear from you. It was a great place and I have a lot of great memories to.

Anonymous said...

WOW----OMG- MEMORIES..Annmarie, I am so hoping that you see this somehow..My family went to Frank Davis almost every summer back in the 70's when I was a young girl- I remember CooCoo and I also remember your dad- and I also have pics which I would love to show you. My e mail is pms1057@aol.com--I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

gary said...

annemarie, talk about a blast from the past. drop me an email so we can chat, garymcarlson@comcast.net

gary said...

Annemarie
Please contact
garymcarlson@comast.net

look forward to hearing from you

Anonymous said...

Does anybody remember Libby Lieber? She worked at the Frog and also was "The Box Opener" at the eclair factory (Yankee Pastry). I worked there when I first moved to town in 1980 or 1981. I was the "Eclair Picker Offer" on the day shift. Mandy

tomas said...

wow went there in the sixties with my parents,i remember coo coo with the band in the morning and even joined them once!do you remember the model building contest[came in 2nd once].great memories of that era,seems so old fashioned now but was the place to be then.

Anonymous said...

the name Libby Lieber--was she a relative of Joe and Clara Lieber who ran Lieber's? My chilhood summers were spent there .They took us on day trips to Bailey's Beach,where the water was warm,and Gillette Castle.

Anonymous said...

My heart is saddened by Coo Coo's passing, and the death of a great summer resort. Always loved going each summer. One year I made Coo Coo a ceramic plack with "Coo Coo"on it. Loved helping Jocko out at the fun house. Was always at the wake up band, and one year I even tried to work there, but housekeeping didn't work out.So I helped with the lockers. Names Kim Butts.

Unknown said...

Does anyone have pictures coo coo? Also of the band that in the club house The Jolly Gents?

Unknown said...

Just scrolling through old memories. Wow , coo coo and Jocko. I went too FDR in the late 70’s to Mid 80’s. So many great memories of summer. I remember one time Jocko had about 30 kids in his old caddy one afternoon. Loved his costumes , little orphan annie and the pirate. CooCoo and the band.Thanks for the fond memories.
Kevin Binnall

  I am pleased to announce that the new local history website EastHaddamStories.org is now live. It is a project of the East Haddam Historic...