Tuesday, July 15, 2003

Orchard Mansion memories

I was just taking a break at my work station here amidst a row of Herman Miller cubicles in a building leased by the state of Oregon when, reminiscing of summers past, decided to take a stab in the dark to see if the web contained any references to Orchard Mansion, where my Fall River, MA-based family spent a week or two every summer during the early to mid-60's, and ran across your website.

While some memories are truly distinct (lox and bagels; Janice Peck from Longmeadow MA, whom I met when I was 13, and she was probably 10, and whose parents, several years later, would not let her come to my high school prom; the pool; Mark, our college-aged busboy whom my dad graciously tipped as we left for home), others fade with time. After all, we're talking 40 years ago now.

You've brought chills to my spine, a tear to my eye, and a curiosity about whatever happened to Janice Peck. I'm heading back "home" in the Fall - dropping my son off at Princeton where he'll be a junior, and attending my niece's wedding in Newport. I'll try to peruse the family photo album to see if I can find any pictures of the Mansion, where we spent may a happy time during the summers of my youth. Thanks.

--Kenneth Ryder

See also "What I Learned at Orchard Mansion."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Kenneth

Loved your comments on Orchard Mansion and your inquiry about today. You can check us out on www.myfathershouse.com and see updates on the property.

Blessings
My Father's House

  I am pleased to announce that the new local history website EastHaddamStories.org is now live. It is a project of the East Haddam Historic...