Saturday, June 09, 2001

Weiner's Hotel: An American Dream

Great blurb on the "Moodus that Was." It's hard to capture the spirit and mood of the late 50's and early 60's in Moodus. I had worked at Weiner's for 5 years during summers in those times..A very good story of an American dream of hard work and sorry to say a sad end.

The hotel was a very vital part of the summer scene in the late 50's and early 60's. They fell off the map when tragically the owners, Milt and Pearl Weiner, died in their 40's a few years apart. The Weiners were longtime Moodus residents and had 4 children.

--Ron Lewis

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Milton died 6 months after Pearl died. They are buried at Congregation Rodfe Zedek Cemetery in Moodus.

Susan (Barshter) Alexander said...

As a child I spent a week every summer at Weiner's. My parents would pack up the car and we'd leave Buffalo at 2 am in our pajamas to get to Weiner's in time for lunch.
When I was a teenager, I was a counselor there (for the children of the guests) and it was the first summer right after Pearl and Milton passed away.
If anyone is reading this, they might remember, as I fondly do, the Main House, the Woodshed, the dining room, the old waterhole and the new swimming pool.
But mostly I remember Joanne, Francis (known as Cissy), Bobby and Mickey -- Pearl and Milton's four teenage children -- trying so desperately that summer to keep things going, running the hotel without their parents in order to hold on to the legacy Pearl and Milton had worked so hard to build.
It was indeed a tragic end to their story, but my memories from those summers at the hotel are golden.

olywriter said...

I grew up spending summers at Weiner's and would love to know what became of Joanne, Cissy, Bobby and Mickey. Any information would be so welcome!

Susan Alexander
olywriter@aol.com

  I am pleased to announce that the new local history website EastHaddamStories.org is now live. It is a project of the East Haddam Historic...