Monday, July 07, 2008

Lifelong friendships

I was a waiter/busboy at Orchard Mansion in both the “Kid’s Dining Room” and “Adult Dining Room” from my Junior Year in H.S. through College. Before that I was a camper from 11 to 14. At 15 I started working at the resort. Most of your memories are right on except for a few points.

1. The tennis court was not lopsided. Actually it was one of the best features (besides the pool) about the resort.
2. The wooden handball/tennis court adjacent to the real tennis court was lopsided.
3. The long narrow table next to the kitchen was in the Adult Dining Room & was what was called the “Teenage Table”. There was a separate “Kid’s Dining Room” in another wing.
4. Dinner was never next day’s lunch as lunch was always dairy & dinner was always meat (except for Sunday).

From someone who is extremely familiar with Orchard & its owners, this time of year I still can hear the dinner bell ringing. Friendships were made by the staff that carry over to this day (I turn 60 in Jan). I would say more professionals came out of the resort staff that would make any Jewish parents proud.

Great article – thanks for the memories.

--Roy Goldstein

  I am pleased to announce that the new local history website EastHaddamStories.org is now live. It is a project of the East Haddam Historic...