Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Hiking and romance at Hilton's


I think 1958 and 1960 were the summers I spent at Ted Hiltons with my family.  It was such a beautiful place -- the gorgeous Salmon river, the grounds, the pool, all the activities, the wonderful food and the dining room.  There was music at night, outside, and inside was square dancing.

We would have a guided hike through the woods, be hot and exhausted at the end,  to find a long table laden with cool drinks and food. All the employees were friendly and enthusiastic.  They loved being there as much as the guests.  And there was Roy with a cowboy hat, always on horseback, announcing all the activities we should join in, when and where.

I even had a romance with a very special young man who worked there.  I think he stayed for many years and if he is still there I want him to know Hiltons and our friendship are very special memories. for me.

--Joan Daly

No comments:

  I am pleased to announce that the new local history website EastHaddamStories.org is now live. It is a project of the East Haddam Historic...